Monday, March 23, 2009

Making Babies

So now you have seeds and the basic seed starting equipment. Next step: SEED STARTING. Finally....oh joy!

But wait. Don't be too eager: be sure to start your seeds at the right time, to ensure the seed is ready when the weather is. The description on your seed packet should help.

Add seed starting mix (or potting mix, if no ss mix available) to the containers you're using for seed starting. Embed seeds, about 1-2" apart (if there's room), depending on size of seed. Plant more seeds than you actually want to grow, since some might go to heaven. Not sure how deep to plant the seeds... I just added a light cover of mix.

If you're starting seeds indoors: add water to the tray and wait for 1 hour. Discard any water left in the tray that hasn't been soaked up by the pot. This method will ensure you're not drowning the seeds. Place in a very sunny spot, or a few inches under your fluorescent light for most of the day.

I started hot fish peppers, sweet purple peppers and mint seeds last weekend. No sign of life yet.


4 comments:

Paul said...

what do you mean "go to heaven"? If these seeds won't grow are they not considered "bad seeds" and "bad seeds" should go to hell hence the word "bad". And speaking of "bad seeds" how's Miles? ;)

-Paul-

Minda said...

Hm, what a philosophical question. I haven't used the philosophical part of my brain since Jan 8/09. Miles is fine; he's drinking lots of beer in your memory. When you're back come over to our place and play Madden 09 with him, would ya.

Rika said...

baby peppers!! I have baby peppers! And globe basil too. I thin I killed a baby cilantro by accident, but I now have another one to replace it. Tomatoes are germinating quite well - except I may have gotten a couple of varieties mixed up - oops.

Minda said...

Nice job, Rika! Yes, my baby pepper plants are starting to come up now. Along with some leggy tomato plants, due to a little neglect on my end :(