Monday, March 23, 2009

Container Gardening - Equipment

Here's my list of things to acquire for the balcony garden. If you have the time and interest, try sourcing items second-hand from a thrift store or on Craigslist. I scored these great whisky barrel planters for $40. Especially with containers, you can get really creative... rain boots, kiddie pools, old bathtubs ... the sky's the limit.

  • Containers.
    Be sure to add drainage holes if there aren't any; plants don't like to be sitting in water for too long. If you don't want to drill holes, the next best thing is to add a layer of lil' rocks to the bottom of your pot.
    Keep in mind that different materials hold water differently: plastic, ceramic and tin holds water for longer; terracotta and wood less.
    Consider the plant when thinking about pot size. Better to go big than too small.

  • Potting mix.
    I had to do a little searching before I found organic potting mix; $5 for 15L bag at Grassroots, also sold in bulk. Though it has peat moss in it, which I heard is sourced in an environmentally-destructive way. Boo.
    Don't use garden soil; you'll need a sterile mix.

  • Fertilizer.
    I'm hoping my worm composter will provide all the fertilizer I need. Plus I have a little sample bag of organic fish compost from a nice man at the Royal Winter Agricultural Fair, so I figure I'm good to go. But in case you're looking, check out the organic fertilizers at Grassroots, all under the Urban Harvest brand.

  • Pruning scissors.
    Much more kind to the plant than twisting, pulling, etc.

  • Gardening gloves.

  • Trowel.

  • Watering can.
    Not essential, but makes it easier to sprinkle your plants with water and avoid flooding them with a sudden, hard downpour.

  • Resources.
    Books, internet sites (like this one!), people.

  • A PLAN!
    Lots can be said for trial-and-error, but you'll probably have more success from the start if you're armed with a little knowledge and some ideas of where to put your plants, considering sun/temperature.

And, if you're starting from seed, you'll also need:

  • Seeds.
    Seed exchanges are great - I think YouGrowGirl.com has a forum for this. Otherwise, you can buy from a garden store, or order directly from a specialized seed seller. Some popular organic seed sellers from Ontario: Urban Harvest, The Cottage Gardener, and Greta's.

  • Seed starting mix.
    Where's the organic seed starting mix in Toronto at? Since I couldn't find any, I'll try potting mix. A lady at Grassroots suggested this, since she had some success with it. Plus I like the idea of buying less things, and using what you already have.

  • Cells or small containers (if starting indoors).
    You could buy seed cells, or use containers you have on-hand. I cut up some empty tetrapak cartons and plastic bottles, added some holes in the bottom, and placed them on styrofoam take-out trays.

  • Very sunny spot, or a fluorescent light (if starting indoors).
    If you don't have a south-facing window or balcony, get a fluorescent light from a thrift shop.



2 comments:

troy said...

I don't remember exactly, but I think peat moss acts as a carbon sink, so using it not only releases carbon to the atmosphere, but rids the planet of a precious carbon sink. I could have this completely wrong, it's worth looking into... I saw something on 'Stuff Happens' with Bill Nye :D

Minda said...

This is what I read too! Yesterday I bought some coir (coconut husks) to bulk up the potting mix, to offset a little bit of earthly destruction.