Friday, April 23, 2010

Soil Mix-A-Lot

With the weather in Toronto staying unseasonably warm, I decided to start planting a little early this year.

Last year, I bought a pre-made potting mix, and added coir and mushroom compost. Throwing away the old soil this year seemed unnecessarily wasteful, so I amended about 2/3 old soil with:
  • a bit of coir
  • a sprinkle of kelp meal
  • a good layer of worm castings
  • a good layer of "sea soil"
  • a good layer of 1/2 perlite, 1/2 vermiculite
  • a very thick blanket of mushroom compost
The peas and the arugula were planted first, since they should be relatively cold hardy. One week later, the arugula sprouts were visible. The garlic I planted last fall still hasn't shown any signs of life. In the coming days/weeks, I'll start planting beets, lettuce, kale, chard, green onions and mustard greens. (yay!)

Wishing you all a great growing season!

No comments: