Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mushroom, Remixed

I don't want to turn this into a mushroom website, really. But I find this grow kit pretty fascinating. And frustrating.

We ate the first failed harvest of mushrooms by rehydrating them (after they dried out sitting on the counter) and cooking them in a sauce. Not bad. But what I'm really looking forward to is a steamy mouthful of those meaty, fleshy oyster mushrooms that we all know and love. Problem is, I don't have any of THOSE.

This is what the kit looks like now: a freak show.

This isn't cute anymore. Where are my mushrooms, man?!

2 comments:

Minda said...

UPDATE: after exchanging some emails with the Mycoboutique, I have determined that the grow kit NEVER grew any oyster mushrooms. This growth we're seeing is another kind of mushroom that has overtaken and populated the straw. Likely the oyster mushrooms won't be able to compete. Tragic ending.

Sheldon said...

Oh no...so sad!