Thursday, April 23, 2009

Good Apple

The beautiful weather we've been having lately reminds me of Farmers' Markets... buying a small basket of cherry tomatoes and popping them in my mouth as I walk home with a giant bag of veggies. And since my new apartment is pretty close to Brick Works, I have been fantasizing about biking to the market on Saturday mornings. So this morning I went to the Toronto Farmers' Market Network website to see when this market would be opening, and something caught my eye:

Joining our year-round farmers’ markets (the early-birds of spring), Toronto will have a new market beginning on April 23, The Appletree Market, Thursdays 3-7 pm at 200 Eglinton West, just a short distance from Yonge Street.

Whaaaa ----? TODAY is APRIL 23rd!!! Oh, lucky day! A year-round market in a convenient location - beside the TTC subway line, and on my way home from work! Though I love the Dufferin Grove market, I really have to come to terms with my new found east-endedness (and loss of west-endedness), and stop frequenting places that require a special trip and several days of planning to get to.

The new Appletree Market is a pretty decent size, and has quite a few vendors (especially considering we're not in harvest season). There were 3 local produce vendors, selling seeds, root vegetables from winter storage, flour and eggs. Other vendors were selling honey, wild edibles, cheese, meat and baked goods. It was a nice little sign of summer, and gave me the motivation I needed for seed planting this weekend.

No comments: