Sunday, January 18, 2009

Maitake Mushrooms

I was picking up some groceries at 4Life, a great lil' shop in Kensington Market that sells organic produce and bulk goods. Sometimes they'll have some interesting produce brought in by local farmers.

About a month ago, I noticed a box of unfamiliar fungi. The shrooms were little bunches of woody gills, sitting in a plain brown box, waiting for adoption. I was told they were maitake mushrooms, brought in from a mushroom farmer in Waterloo. Figuring these rare gems would probably cost a fortune, I bought the runt of the litter. He was just a little bigger than a toonie. (It rang up a measely 50 cents, but I was too embarrassed to ask for more).

I ate a little bit raw, and it was delicious. Nice mild earthy flavour. I broke the rest up and mixed it in with a half bowl of spaghetti, garlic and olive oil. M-m-mushroom. If only I had more.

No comments: